Thursday, January 10, 2008

Alternate (3rd) Jerseys for Razorbacks

In the past week, I saw the idea discussed on fan message boards about Razorback football having a 3rd jersey. This of course stems from the all red uniforms Arkansas wore on that New Year's Day Cotton Bowl.

Personally I think it's a great idea and if there were ever a time to do it, this is it. Most fans and people involved with Razorback athletics agree this is as an exciting time for the football program in at least a decade. In light of this, jersey sale revenue would likely go beyond that of what it normally does on annual basis because it's not just the hardcore fans that are interested.

But it appeared many of these fans, "bloggers", etc. don't just want a re-do of what's on the jersey, but taking a step away from the school's colors... they want black. Bad idea and here's why:

Keep in mind, going just short of some gothic, dark, emo-rockstar, I'm a big fan of the color in my wardrobe. No bias there. The thing is it's just become WAY too trendy. Too much dark colors on jerseys, black on black, "black outs", call it whatever. And I can think of a lot of schools have gone that route already; be different.

Plus, look no farther than the other side of the state in Jonesboro. Arkansas State wears... yep, you guessed it. BLACK AND RED. That's like trying to tell OU or Texas A&M, "You know what we should try out... burnt orange. It'll look AWESOME!"
Okay. Maybe it's not that bad but do you see what I'm getting at?

This is the dawn of a really special time in Arkansas sports and let it be known that if they do come out with one, mark me down for a pre-order because this will be something to remember.
Thank you.
*steps off soap-box*

Feel free to email me ideas: jlaws@hearst.com

Labels: