It's All Greek To Me, Take 2
Time to bite the hand that feeds me. I can't take it anymore. I know I work for ABC, and they sleep soundly in the same bed as ESPN, but this needs to be said. I don't like ESPN anymore. It's the snake to my mongoose, or is it the other way around? ESPN has become the super powerful mega-conglomerate (think Dr. Evil's corporation), a network with a monopoly on sports television. For goodness sake at 2 in the morning they've got championship billiards followed by a 5 hour Texas Hold 'Em Tournament in Monte Carlo. But I digress.
Watching the days leading up to and then the night of the Heisman Trophy Presentation, it was blindly obvious ESPN had decided to showcase Tim Tebow. The super sophomore QB has it all: enormous talent, well-spoken, good looking, the All-American boy next door(think Tom Cruise, only 3 feet taller). Once again Darren McFadden was left to be the bridesmaid in the Big Apple. Another 2nd place finish, another disappointment. Was it because Tebow deserved it, or, Tebow had a better PR campaign thanks to ESPN?
That's my issue. Still, if I had a vote, it would have gone to Tebow. DMac is more talented, Dmac is the better athlete, but Tebow had a better season. Sorry Hogs, just my opinion. My issue is that it wasn't a fair contest. We already know the Heisman is nothing but a popularity contest. Ask Colt Brennan, stranded on an island, playing games at 1 am. If you don't believe me, look at his numbers (the guy was 42 of 50 last week against Washington. I don't care if you throw it 50 times, but when you complete 42 of them, that's disgusting). The Heisman is voted on by human beings, who certainly watch ESPN to some degree. The network should have treated the race like a political election: equal time for all. But they didn't. Clearly Tebow was featured more often, the analysts spouted his accolades exponentially more than McFadden or the other candidates. ESPN should realize their slant probably had a significant impact on a race decided by a mere 250 votes. Goodness, they had the ceremony ON THEIR NETWORK! ESPN needs to step back and take a good look at their decisions and their programming (that includes the travesty that is professional bowling). The scope of their influence in the sports world is growing by the minute.
For the record, the Heisman has become somewhat of a joke anyway. Aside from the fact there are more awards given out these days than there are bowl games (and that's saying something), I'm still not sure who is really awarded the Heisman. Is it the best athlete? The most valuable to a team? The best season on the field? Troy Smith led the Buckeyes to the national title game, but didn't have the best season in 2006, not by a longshot. Tebow's Gators lost 3 games, but his 20/20 effort was a first, and probably the reason he took home the bronze. But Darren McFadden proved to me he is the most dyanamic and versatile player in college football the last 2 years. NFL scouts don't need to see a Heisman on his resume. Trust me.
The sad part is I'll keep watching ESPN, because I love sports. What's the alternative? CNN Headline Sports? But I want the parent company to know, it's faithful son is losing faith.
Watching the days leading up to and then the night of the Heisman Trophy Presentation, it was blindly obvious ESPN had decided to showcase Tim Tebow. The super sophomore QB has it all: enormous talent, well-spoken, good looking, the All-American boy next door(think Tom Cruise, only 3 feet taller). Once again Darren McFadden was left to be the bridesmaid in the Big Apple. Another 2nd place finish, another disappointment. Was it because Tebow deserved it, or, Tebow had a better PR campaign thanks to ESPN?
That's my issue. Still, if I had a vote, it would have gone to Tebow. DMac is more talented, Dmac is the better athlete, but Tebow had a better season. Sorry Hogs, just my opinion. My issue is that it wasn't a fair contest. We already know the Heisman is nothing but a popularity contest. Ask Colt Brennan, stranded on an island, playing games at 1 am. If you don't believe me, look at his numbers (the guy was 42 of 50 last week against Washington. I don't care if you throw it 50 times, but when you complete 42 of them, that's disgusting). The Heisman is voted on by human beings, who certainly watch ESPN to some degree. The network should have treated the race like a political election: equal time for all. But they didn't. Clearly Tebow was featured more often, the analysts spouted his accolades exponentially more than McFadden or the other candidates. ESPN should realize their slant probably had a significant impact on a race decided by a mere 250 votes. Goodness, they had the ceremony ON THEIR NETWORK! ESPN needs to step back and take a good look at their decisions and their programming (that includes the travesty that is professional bowling). The scope of their influence in the sports world is growing by the minute.
For the record, the Heisman has become somewhat of a joke anyway. Aside from the fact there are more awards given out these days than there are bowl games (and that's saying something), I'm still not sure who is really awarded the Heisman. Is it the best athlete? The most valuable to a team? The best season on the field? Troy Smith led the Buckeyes to the national title game, but didn't have the best season in 2006, not by a longshot. Tebow's Gators lost 3 games, but his 20/20 effort was a first, and probably the reason he took home the bronze. But Darren McFadden proved to me he is the most dyanamic and versatile player in college football the last 2 years. NFL scouts don't need to see a Heisman on his resume. Trust me.
The sad part is I'll keep watching ESPN, because I love sports. What's the alternative? CNN Headline Sports? But I want the parent company to know, it's faithful son is losing faith.

<< Home