Thursday, March 06, 2008

Road-Kill Hogs: They Kill 'Em, We Grill 'Em

One thing I can't help but appreciate about Coach Pelphrey is never holding back his emotions in a game. It's a shame it hasn't rubbed off on these upperclassmen.

When watching this Arkansas team at home and on the road, look no farther than the facial expressions of these players. Regardless of the score, when the Hogs play on the road, they... look... like... zombies...

When Pelphrey talks about lack of intensity, THAT'S WHAT HE MEANS!! It doesn't take a sports psychologist to analytically break down the gutlessness of their road play.

I'm going to borrow a quote from Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach describing his team's performance after their loss to OSU. (This was actually the same game that Gundy made his infamous 'I'm a Man!' rant)

"We've got a bunch of guys who look like they got punched in the mouth and they want to pout. And they think that concerned expressions are going to be a substitute for faster legs, lower pads, and better effort." - Mike Leach

I think that one applies here. Well, except for the lower pads part.

So when I read stories and forum posts talking about Pelphrey's methods of trying to motivate these players, I can't help but feel sorry for Coach Pel because it's obvious a competitor like him is trying to do everything in his power to turn this thing around.

I don't believe their lack of success on the road has anything to do with X's and O's, half-court vs full-court, high-tempo vs slow-pace. This is a character issue: and some of these players just don't have it.

I'd like to be wrong here but I still have yet to see something that proves otherwise. The Razorbacks will make the NCAA tournament but count on an expected first round exit.