Saturday, March 22, 2008

March Madness Motivation

If there's an upside to the Hogs facing the hands-down tournament favorite already, I'd say it's this: if Arkansas can survive, there's no reason they can't go all the way.

It's amazing what players can do when they play every game like it's their last. Because obviously for Arkansas' six seniors, that's the case.

It appears only fitting I see these seniors shining in that run through the SEC and now in round 1. Perhaps it has finally sunk in that there is no tomorrow. But whatever has brought these seniors back to life, now the issue is how long can they keep this up and will it even be enough against a team like UNC.

What intrigues me about this matchup is the frontcourt. When I see a guy like Charles Thomas AKA "Manimal" versus Tyler Hansbrough "Psycho-T", it sounds like something that can only be seen on paper-view.

Thomas' improved play along with Darian Townes also stepping up his inside game, I just wonder if it'll be enough. Because this isn't a 2-headed monster like Indiana (Gordon/White), Tar-heels have four guys in double-figures; 3 of them guards/small forward.

This Arkansas team will be challenged in positions 1-5. If there's a weakness, good teams will know how to expose it. Coach Pelphrey's game plan will be every bit as important.

I always say this Arkansas team seems to always play to the level of their competition (good or bad). If that holds true Sunday, with some luck and UA bounces, the impossible could happen.

And besides, my bracket is already on its death bed, let's just drive that nail into the coffin shall we?