Thursday, March 20, 2008

March Madness Memories

In Tuesday's Arkansas hoops presser, Coach John Pelphrey answered a few questions regarding 1992's historic moment of Christian Laettner scoring a last second shot off an amazing Grant Hill inbounds pass to beat Kentucky in OT to advance to the Final Four.

For those of you that were unaware, Pelphrey was a senior on that UK squad. And being the smart-guy that I am, I actually asked him about it the first time I met him. (Great first impression, huh?)

Pelphrey said when he looks back on it now, he realizes his life would still have turned out as it did, although he made it clear it will always be a bitter moment. For nine-year old John Laws, that was a special moment.

Without a doubt, that was THE defining moment that got me interested in basketball. I still can remember jumping up & down and screaming because it was such an amazing play.

I remember going out in the backyard and throwing up shots all night on the new patio and basketball hoop my dad put up.

It's what had me signed up to play youth basketball the following year and so on. And I'm not the only one. Recent Duke 1st team All-American JJ Redick had been quoted as having been the same way after that play. And I have to believe we're not alone.

That play may have shattered one young Kentucky man's dream of going out on top, but it probably inspired an entire generation of new players. That's how special March Madness really can be.

With that stated, let the games begin.