Regulating Sportsmanship
Well it turns out no matter how much football I watch, I'm always going to pick up something on random rule infractions. I'm referring to the call following Robert Johnson's touchdown catch from Darren McFadden against South Carolina. If you didn't happen to see it, it was a throw that had a little too much air under it and "RoJo" did an incredible job of reaching over the head of a shorter defensive back to make the grab in the corner of the endzone. TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS!
I understand the rationale for trying to enforce rules that encourage good sportsmanship, but it's moments like those that I feel we've gone just a little too far. He didn't pull a Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens pre-meditated TD celebration or pretend to moon the South Carolina fans (Randy Moss against the Packers). What's next? If the offensive player doesn't immediately turn around and offer to shake hands with his defender, it's 'unsportsman-like'?
The point I'm getting at is maybe rulings on sportsmanship-type behavior shouldn't be as much focused on the actual action (spikes, TD dances, etc.) as it is just a pure judgment call of the official. If he feels any sort of action is excessive or blatantly derogatory towards the integrity of the game, then throw the flags. Until then, just let the kids play. (I know this will never happen but it's food for thought.)
<< Home