Monday, November 05, 2007

Pigskin Preps

I feel obliged to state that prior to last Friday's game between Springdale High & Har-Ber, I couldn't quite figure out how the Har-Ber Wildcats were able to beat Bentonville and be at the top of the 7A-West.

Now keep in mind the only time I was able to see them in person before last week was when they lost AT Northside. Which I'll admit, when Northside's defense is on at home, they can make a lot of teams look bad including the first half when they hosted Bentonville. (B'Ville's 2nd half made up for it though)

That Springdale rivalry game definitely erased any previous doubts I had about the Wildcats and where they stood in the 7-A West. And after Har-Ber's opening game drive that went for a touchdown, I couldn't quite understand at first why they switched QBs... until he threw a bomb downfield to Josh Fhoner for their 2nd TD of the half.

And their defense impressed me as well. Not so much in their ability to just completely shut a team down as it is making those big stops on 3rd & 4th down or in the redzone. After Har-Ber scored on that opening possession, Springdale was in position to answer right back until he was picked off in the endzone.

That wasn't Springdale QB Ashton Glazer making a bad play. He had Har-Ber players all over him to force him to make a bad throw.

So now that we're through the rivalry games and the regular season, let's see if the 7-A West can bring home the state title once again.