Easy on the Cupcakes
Ok, enough is enough. I don't buy tickets to Arkansas football games. I get in free. But if I DID, I would be sick of the cupcakes. Saturday's atmosphere, or lack thereof, for Florida International, was nothing short of a joke. Never mind FIU hasn't won a game since Harry Truman was in office, or that they represent the 3rd Sun Belt team on the Hogs schedule. But it's plain to see that in late October, every opponent should be interesting on some level.
I have no problem with out of conference games. All big schools need them. And yes I know that TCU was moved off the schedule to make room for Texas in 2008. That doesn't excuse the fact Arkansas refuses to play the one Sun Belt team that lives INSIDE the Natural State.
Arkansas State has always been a sore spot for Hog athletics. Just ask the Ladyback hoops team. Are they rivals? Nope, but the intensity of the fans emotions toward the two schools cites a perfect reason to play the Indians. Play them anywhere. In Jonesboro. In Little Rock as a neutral site. In Fayetteville. Just play them already. If you walked around the stadium Saturday it was like a zombie movie. Everyone going through the motions, no real excitement about the coming beatdown we all knew was coming. People on the corner holding wads of tickets no one wanted to buy. It was downright sad. It's not because the Hogs are mediocre. It's just not interesting.
Imagine this game in Little Rock, half the stadium clad in ASU garb, the jabbing and bragging before and after the contest. The message boards lit up with smacktalk. It's the perfect remedy. If I'm a Hog fan, I don't want to see Florida International House of Pancakes on the schedule again. I had already swallowed hideous games with UT-Chattanooga and North Texas.
Arkansas either needs to grow some guts and play in-state opponents or be prepared to see 40,000 (not the 60,000 they CLAIM was in the seats) sitting around on their thumbs, bored stiff. And next year, Dmac won't be putting anyone in the bleachers. Or Monk, or Hillis, Or Felix (probably)...... you get the point.
That's what I think. How bout you? e-mail us at Sports@4029tv.com
I have no problem with out of conference games. All big schools need them. And yes I know that TCU was moved off the schedule to make room for Texas in 2008. That doesn't excuse the fact Arkansas refuses to play the one Sun Belt team that lives INSIDE the Natural State.
Arkansas State has always been a sore spot for Hog athletics. Just ask the Ladyback hoops team. Are they rivals? Nope, but the intensity of the fans emotions toward the two schools cites a perfect reason to play the Indians. Play them anywhere. In Jonesboro. In Little Rock as a neutral site. In Fayetteville. Just play them already. If you walked around the stadium Saturday it was like a zombie movie. Everyone going through the motions, no real excitement about the coming beatdown we all knew was coming. People on the corner holding wads of tickets no one wanted to buy. It was downright sad. It's not because the Hogs are mediocre. It's just not interesting.
Imagine this game in Little Rock, half the stadium clad in ASU garb, the jabbing and bragging before and after the contest. The message boards lit up with smacktalk. It's the perfect remedy. If I'm a Hog fan, I don't want to see Florida International House of Pancakes on the schedule again. I had already swallowed hideous games with UT-Chattanooga and North Texas.
Arkansas either needs to grow some guts and play in-state opponents or be prepared to see 40,000 (not the 60,000 they CLAIM was in the seats) sitting around on their thumbs, bored stiff. And next year, Dmac won't be putting anyone in the bleachers. Or Monk, or Hillis, Or Felix (probably)...... you get the point.
That's what I think. How bout you? e-mail us at Sports@4029tv.com
<< Home