Wednesday, July 11, 2007

MLB All-Star Game vs. HR Derby

I
I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for the long ball. I know the midsummer classic is a tradition, and there's interest with the winner getting home field advantage for the World Series, but it's just boring for me. Baseball by and large is painful to watch on tv. How many of us have 3 hours of free time in the first place, much less time to watch pitchers take their time on the mound while batters adjust their cup, batting gloves, helmet, elbow guards, shin guards, take some practice swings, and on and on and on.
I found the Home Run Derby much more enjoyable. Watching some of the game's big boys seeing who can hit it the farthest the most often. It's Alpha Male syndrome at it's finest. I'd like to eat a t-bone steak, sitting on my couch, with a beer in hand, watchign big ole sluggers demolishing baseballs into the night. It's just good tv. And obviously the fans love it, close to 40,000 showed up for the Derby. Think about that. It's a glorified batting practice session, but people flock to the ticket window for the show (which was missing some big names like Bonds, Griffey and A-Rod).