Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Masters.... on Sunday

For four years I worked in Greenville, South Carolina as a sports reporter and photographer. If you know your geography, Greenville is but an hour and a half from Augusta, Georgia. And if you know ANYTHING about sports, Augusta is home to the Azaleas and quite possibly the greatest spetacle in sports annually- The Masters. If you've never been, don't laugh at that last statement. And don't e-mail me a hundred alternatives- Super Bowl, NCAA Tournament, World Series, etc. Each is special in it's own right. But I had the good fortune to cover the Masters for 3 years in a row, and it was beyond incredible.
I have been to Augusta National on Monday for practice rounds, and I've been to Augusta on Sunday as the final putt dopped in, and a Green Jacket was ceremoniously passed to the winner. Everything is perfect at Augusta. The design of the course is amazing, sculpted around Azaleas, lakes, and the tall pines and firs. The state of the course is unbelieveable. One of the joys for me was being there after rounds had ended, and the sheer volume of workers out on the course tending to every detail for the following day's events. Talk about a well oiled machine.
The best golfers in the world going toe to toe in the one of the best environments in the world. The crowds, the roar of the gallery, the smells walking the course; the sloping greens that befuddle even Tiger and Phil. Eisenhower Cabin, the massive oak tree outside the clubhouse that's 150 years old; the 1st hole (with the honorary starter), Rae's Creek, Hogan Bridge, Magnolia Lane, Crow's Nest, and of course you hav to have your picture taken by Founders Cirlce. Gosh I could go on forever about the place. I'll end with the simple fact that I followed Jack Nicklaus 2 years ago when he played the brutal course for the final time. He hobbled along, waving to the crowds and the constant ovations, never a threat to win the tournament, but drawing the largest gallery nonetheless. What an experience. I still have my photographer's armband from that day. Too bad I didn't get the Golden Bear to sign it!
As I watch the final round today, I'm reminded of those special years when I had a front row seat for the greatest event in American sports. Not just the excitement, but the tradition behind it, and the reverence held by everyone: media, fans, players, and members of Augusta National. Truly a special place, and if you are a true sports fan, one you have to experience before you die. It's worth the trip.