Monday, November 13, 2006

Who Would Have Thought: Hogs a National Title Contender

As I was leaving Reynolds Razorback Stadium back on Sept. the 2nd, a lot of thoughts were racing through my head. One thought that did not make an appearance:..... "That the USC thrashing I just witnessed, could be the only thing that keeps the Hogs out of the BCS title game!" Despite facing two months worth of bashing and second guessing from outsiders, Arkansas has become college football's newest media darling.

A lot of credit must be given to Houston Nutt for keeping his team focused on what goes on within the walls of the Broyles Center and not what goes out on the local airwaves and message boards. Of course I will never criticize the exisistance of media technology (it gives me a paycheck and the 1st Amendment is my favorite), but I will say that it can lead to a team's downfall. Not letting that happen is a head coach's responsibility.

Message boards and radio/tv talk shows provide a service to the fans by giving them a platform to celebrate their favorite team's success or vent their frustrations during times like Hog Fans experienced the past two years. And we all know how intense the venting can be. Let that frustration and negativity infect the team and it can be devastating. Just ask Miami and North Carolina.

Keeping a team infection free comes down to leadership. With the help of a determined group of seniors, Nutt managed to keep his players and staff focused on their most important goal. Just win!! As Nutt predicted winning has silenced a lot of the critics and with a little help from above (Paul had to have something to do with Vandy) the Hogs have found themselves in the middle of the BCS Title Race!!!!!

Of course that could all change in Starkville on Saturday, but I wouldn't bet on a let down from the Hogs. The leadership (players and coaches) that we have seen so far won't let it happen. The blinders are on and I predict the Hogs won't just be singing the fight song in Starkville. They'll also be celebrating an SEC West Championship!!!!