Ryan's NFL Picks, Week 1
Are you ready for some football? Some NFL football? I am. The HDTV is rarin' to go. The fantasy football lineup is in, and all that's left is to make some predictions.
Miami at Pittsburgh
Give me Miami in a mild upset. I think the Dolphins will be a big surprise in the AFC this season, and without Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers will have a bit of trouble offensively.
Atlanta at Carolina
Early-season divisional games can be crazy in the NFL. New Orleans beat the Panthers in Carolina last season to open the year, I think. However, to me, Carolina is the class of the NFC South, although it does concern me slightly that Steve Smith might not play.
Baltimore at Tampa Bay
Gooood game. Believe it or not, I'm interested in these offenses, whereas in years past, I would have only taken notice of the Baltimore and Tampa defenses. I think Cadillac Williams is a superstar in the making, and I suspect Tampa Bay will edge Steve McNair and the Ravens in Florida.
Buffalo at New England
Love Buffalo's light-blue unis, and I do think J.P. Losman could end up being a formidable NFL quarterback. However, I don't see the Bills beating New England at home.
Cincinnati at Kansas City
The Bengals are an in-vogue pick to make it to the Super Bowl among some pundits. I do think Carson Palmer is setting himself up to be a great NFL quarterback if he can stay injury-free. However, Arrowhead Stadium is a heck of a place to start the year on the road, and considering Herm Edwards teams are known for defensive tenacity and overall intensity, I like the Chiefs.
Denver at St. Louis
These aren't your Broncos and Rams of old. No, siree. However, are we really sure what either of these teams will be throwin' out there? I figure Denver will have a solid running game. They always do. The Rams should be effective through the air, as they have been the past seven years. I do think the Broncos have an edge in this game.
New Orleans at Cleveland
Sean Payton's debut is in Cleveland, on the road, and I don't know squat about either team. My gut hunch tells me to go with the home team when the clubs are pretty even and the prognosticator is in doubt. So, give me the Browns.
N.Y. Jets at Tennessee
Vince Young's debut -- or at least we expect him to debut -- will be quite interesting. I didn't watch much of the preseason, but what I saw of the Titans indicated to me that they weren't using VY right. Not much of a spread offense. Too much of a traditional 'I' formation look. I could be wrong; however, I think the Jets are a mess right now with question marks at quarterback and running back. Considering they're on the road, too, I love the Titans in this one.
Philadelphia at Houston
Now that the Texans are on their second coach in franchise history, can they commence with the winning? I do think Houston is in store for a solid year, even if they can't eclipse the Colts and Jags. However, I do like the Eagles here.
Seattle at Detroit
The Seahawks start the season with a chip on their shoulder, and I think that spells good things for Matt Hasselback and company. Truth is, I'm not excited about the Lions, even with an improved offense. Give me Seattle on the road.
Chicago at Green Bay
My head says the Bears. My gut hunch says the Packers. I do think the Bears have too many questions on offense for me to like them at Lambeau.
Dallas at Jacksonville
Gooood game. Jack Del Rio has the Jags poised for greatness, and Byron Leftwich is turning into a solid, solid pro quarterback. However, I think defense is the name of this game, and I love the under, whatever it is. If T.O. is a factor, give me the 'Boys. Without a score from Terrell, I like the Jags.
San Francisco at Arizona
I am very intrigued by the Cardinals this season. New stadium. New running back. This is my lock of the week. Arizona rolls.
Indianapolis at N.Y. Giants
This might be the game of the week with the Manning boys facing off against each other. I do think the Colts will be down a bit this year, and the hype surrounding the Giants is huge. Many think the Giants will be a Super Bowl-quality team. If that's the case, though, I think it will be because the Giants improve throughout the season. Give me the Colts for now.
Minnesota at Washington
It's quite possible that Minnesota will be better in the long-term without Daunte Culpepper, but I think there is a sense of urgency in Washington that we haven't seen in a while. I don't think Joe Gibbs loses his 2006 debut. Give me the 'Skins.
San Diego at Oakland
Wow. The return of Art Shell. The debut of Philip Rivers. The rivalry and on Monday night. I don't think either of these teams will be playing deep into the postseason, but I do like the Raiders on a Monday night, where historically they have a ridiculously good record.
Do you completely disagree with one of my picks? E-mail me at sports@thehometownchannel.com and give us your picks and why.
<< Home