Monday, September 11, 2006

NFL's First Week Pickles Prognosticator

Boy, my picks were terrible. I went 5-9 with two games to go tonight. However, I do think we have a decent feel for some of the topics that will pervade the NFL this season as well as some of its best teams.


First, the Bears and Ravens looked dominant on the road. Matters not that the Packers seemed ready to call it a year in Week 1 or that Chris Simms was awful in Tampa. Shutouts in the NFL are impressive.


Second, the Bengals looked solid while the Chiefs looked stagnant. Trent Green's injury was a non-factor. Kansas City looked just as inept with him.


The Jacksonville Jaguars front seven might be as good as they come in the NFL, while Dallas has a serious quarterback controversy brewing. Drew Bledsoe was just awful, except when he threw the deep ball. The 'Boys can't win with this guy at QB, not at least to the level they want.


Anyway, in my estimation, I failed miserably this week with my picks. A solid prognosticator, even given the topsy-turvy nature of the NFL and its "parity," should go at least .600 for the week.


Perhaps I should be benched like Bledsoe should ...