Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Chargers and Hogs?

You know, I was watching the Chargers-Raiders game on Monday night, granted it was only because I had LaDainian Tomlinson in one of my fantasy leagues. Still, I came away with two thoughts from that game:

1. I'm glad I don't play for the Raiders. Are they not the biggest mess in all of sports? From the owner to the QB, it's just plain sad. Remember Brett Favre, it can ALWAYS be worse.

2. The Chargers won the game, and they looked exactly like Arkansas. With a new Qb running the offense, San Diego simply dumbed down the offense for Philip Rivers, and just relied on LT and their defense to win the game. And it worked! Rivers only attempted 11 passes, while LT ran the ball more than 30 times. Sound familiar? The Hogs just played Marty ball against Utah State and didn't take many chances, relying on their vaunted ground game. But guess what? While that works against the Aggies or the Raiders, it won't work against bigger opponents. When Auburn (Steelers) comes calling, you better have your full offense clicking, or it's going to be a long night. I don't care if it's college or the NFL: when you get one-dimensional, you're doomed. See: Arkansas last 2 years.